What Does It Mean When a Skincare Product Is Classed As Active?
If you’re someone that takes care of their skin or has an interest in skincare, then you have probably heard the word ‘active’ being used a lot. You may even be wondering what on earth it means for a skincare product to be active. In short, active means there is an active ingredient inside the product that is working to address the skin concerns directly and has an intended purpose. They’re the ingredients that have (supposedly) been scientifically proven to have that desired effect. But there is a lot more to it than that.
However, just because a product doesn’t have an active ingredient in it, doesn’t mean it’s useless. Inactive ingredients (ingredients not considered active by the FDA) are just as important. In many cases, the product isn’t created to treat one specific problem, it’s to help the skin in general, and therefore doesn’t need an active ingredient in it.
What are examples of active ingredients?
There are many active ingredients in tons of skincare products, but here are a few of the most common:
- Antioxidants, such as vitamins C and E
- Hyaluronic acid ( a very common active ingredient)
- Salicylic acid, azelaic acid, lactic acid
- AHA, BHA
Which active ingredients help with which skin concern?
Here are a few examples of which active ingredients can help with a few skin issues:
- Signs of ageing – The common active ingredients used for this concern are Vitamin C and Vitamin E. These ingredients help with the appearance of wrinkles, inflammation and dark spots. This is a very popular ingredient in people’s skincare regimes for overall skin health.
- Acne – Retinoids help increase cell turnover which helps with both acne and fine lines.
- Eczema – This isn’t always instantly treatable through the following products, but steroids are one active ingredient that can be used to help with Eczema.
- Pigmentation Issues – AHA’s and BHA’s are common ingredients for a flawless complexion, and a growing number of skincare brands are launching their own products that include both AHA’s and BHA’s.
Despite the ingredients described above, the list only scratches the surface of what is available across the skincare industry. It’s important to select products and ingredients carefully, as each one has different uses and side effects. Not everyone’s skin works or reacts the same way. Define Clinic carries a full range of skincare products you won’t find in high street beauty stores. They are prescription-only treatments designed to get to the root of the skin problem and fight the signs of ageing, leaving you looking and feeling youthful for longer.
Traditional over-the-counter beauty products will always have their place. But to achieve truly outstanding results, it takes much higher concentrations of active ingredients in products that work beneath the skin’s outer layer. Each product is selected for its powerful active ingredients which get to work deep at the cellular level. Once you’ve tried our prescription range as part of your unique daily beauty regime designed by our skin experts, your skin will never be the same again. Contact us if you want to start your skin journey today.